Friday, January 16, 2009

Sharm El-Sheikh, Ras Mohammed National Park and the Glory of the Red Sea

Today I have lived my dream. Every day of this trip has been truly amazing, but today seemed to be the greatest. I woke up early and decided to make the best of a day of rest, preperation for tonight's ascent of Mt. Sinai. After breakfast, I went snorkeling and was amazed to find such a beacutiful reef not even 100 ft. from my hotel room. I can't upload pictures now due to techincal difficulties, but they will be up soon. These reefs were teeming with fish of all sizes and colors. The wrasse fish thought I was a giant fish and began to nibble at my legs. In nature, they do this to large sea creatures as a means of eating parasites. Luckily I don't have any. I saw the most amazing cornetfish, about 2 ft. long and very thin. I saw pufferfish as well as clownfish. It was truly a special moment in my life. It was so beautiful and once again I was in awe of the natural splendor. I also tried something today that truly changed my life, parasailing. I admit that I was a little scared but the tranquility, and lack of noise is so peaceful. It is not a fast, scary or bumpy ride at all. It is the closest feeling to flying and the view is also great. I will honestly remember this day forever. I don't think that experiences like these can be topped.

Always,
-The Mariner

1 comment:

The Beach Cybrarian said...

That just sounds amazing. I also love to explore the underwater world and am always amazed about the amount of activity that takes place around just one large piece of coral. I am so glad to know that you are enjoying this adventure. Thanks for sharing it with the world.