Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Blogging Out of Luxor

(Slightly delayed by a day or two) It is now officially day... whatever... and after a cruise through the Nile we've made it to Luxor. After managing the early wake up today, we took a shuttle in the company of our two armed security officials to the Valley of the Kings. We all scattered after a short introduction to the tombs and went out to explore whatever ancient sublevels we chose. I immediately took to the hike to the tomb of Tutmosis which involved venturing down deep corridors and having the generator, and thus, the light and ventillation supplied to the tomb, go out. As you can imagine, being lost in utter darkness by yourself in the thousand year-old subterrainian rooms was quite an experience. After making my way out, I took to two other lesser-known tombs and then hired an Egyptian sherpa to take me out on a hike on the ridges surrounding the valley as a means to kill my remaining half hour before regrouping. On top of the ridge I could see the temple of Hatshepsut (Which is much more impressive from afar than it is up close) as well as the Nile beyond a plains of farmland and a small Arabic village.
Then we went to to the temple of Hatshepsut itself. Nothing special besides it's architectual beauty from a distance. A short lunch back at the boat ensued, and then we went to the temple of Karnak. The massive temple put everyone in the group in utter awe as the pillars, columns, and and obolisks towered in multitudes above us. This place was massive.

Then we had the shuttle take us to a nearby internet cafe so that everyone else could check up on e-mail and whatnot, and so I could write this blog. Rather than immediately get started on this entry, some of the others and myself went to a nearby shisha patio to unwind after a day of hiking. Unfortunately this proved to be poor time management as I ended up posting this entry two days later.

1 comment:

The Beach Cybrarian said...

Wow...what an experience. I think I might have freaked out a bit if found alone in a dark tomb. I respect your bravery!